Skip to main content
Asked a question 7 months ago

What are the risks attached to SIP investment?

Join FYERS Community to pick others' brains on Trading/Investing

SIP is one of the better disciplined mechanisms for investing in mutual funds, especially for students and employees with lower salaries who wish to build wealth in the long term. An SIP can be made with an amount as small as Rs.100. With regards to risks of SIP investment, there are no large risks, but certain disadvantages do exist.

• SIP is a cost averaging mechanism - works well when the market is going down, but may not be purposeful when the market is going up. In a rising market. The average cost of holding keeps increasing, thereby reducing the benefit.
  • SIP prices may not the best - NAV of a mutual fund scheme is calculated based on the end of the day values of the portfolio holding and may not offer best pricing as in the case of ETFs (which are based on spot pricing). If a market is up in the morning and closes in the negative by evening, an ETF can be sold instantly in the morning to take advantage of the price, whereas a mutual fund NAV at the end of the day could be negative.
  • Readiness of funds for SIP - Investors have to ensure that their bank account has the necessary funds available prior to the cut off time and date of SIP, failing which the execution for that month will not happen. 

Inspite of these minor disadvantages, SIP is still the preferred mode of investing for active as well as passive investors who want to participate in equity markets.

According to me, Withdrawing funds on a simultaneous basis and skipping SIP is the biggest risk. All SIPs can grow if you have invested in a good project/fund/AMC/Scrip

The biggest risk associated with SIPs is that your average cost of investments (NAV) will tend to be higher in bull markets, and even minor corrections in stock prices can result in losses. For example, let's say you started investing in mutual fund SIPs in April 2020. The market had had a steep correction due to the covid fears but swiftly recovered and went up a lot since then. But since SIP investments happen in monthly installments, you would accumulate at higher and higher prices as the market went up, so the average cost would be relatively higher than if you invested in a lump sum in April 2020. As a result, this correction phase that we are going through would've hurt you more than it wound for a lumpsum investor. 

SIPs are most beneficial in flat or bearish markets. 

I started investing SIP in ICICI securities and now I will start investing in Fyers as SIP, I feel that SIP will help me to collect and save money monthly basis and gather a lot of amount in the future.