India's benchmark Index NIFTY 50 helped NSE shape India's capital markets. Here are some interesting insights about the index on its Silver Jubilee year:
- When it began in 1995, IT sector wasn't even included in Nifty 50. Now IT represents more than 17%.
- The banking sector was at 20% at the time. Now it is around 37%.
- Consumer Goods, Automobiles & Metals sectors have reduced by more than 50% over the years.
- There are only 12 companies that have remained in the Nifty 50 since inception and they are, RIL, HUL, Tata Motors, HDFC Bank, ITC, Tata Steel HDFC, SBI, Hindalco, ICICI, Bajaj Auto and L&T. The rest have been churned out of the index.
- Over the years, there have been 101 stock inclusions in the index (Approximately, 4 per year).
- The index has given roughly 14% in returns from 1999 to 2021.
- Nifty TR Index has given positive returns 17 out of 22 years. Out of this, only 4 years gave a return above 40%.
Was going through some stuff and thought I'd share it with you all. Wishing you all a very happy Holi!